Charleston, South Carolina
Much to do for the mind, body and spirit
If you’ve been wondering how to start meditating or seeking a more balanced life or wondering what’s up with all this talk about angels, you’ve come to the right place. Each week I’ll let you know about events in the Lowcountry that relate to taking care of the body, mind and spirit. There are opportunities in all areas of town and on a wide variety of topics.
- On Folly Beach you can learn about angels, charka alignment, and how to send healing energy and the reasons for illness in a workshop entitled “Angels, Energy Balancing, Self-Healing and Meditation” led by Janet Horsley. The cost is $25 and takes place 7:30-9:30p.m., July 21 at DOX, The Alternative health Care Center, 83 Center Street. For more information call 588-1230.
- Local jewelry maker and energy worker Pamela Muirhead invites you on “a gentle journey through the spirit by putting pen to paper in a safe environment,” through weekly journal writing workshops based on the books Writing Down the Bones and Wind Mind by Natalie Goldberg. The cost is $20 per class and the six-week sessions begins July 21, 7-9 p.m. or July 23, 11a.m. – 1 p.m. at Freedom To Relax Massage Therapy Center, 701 N. Cedar Street, Summerville. Classes are limited to nine people. Register by calling 875-5028.
- At Earth Fare’s free Saturday lecture, Guy Vitetta of the Golden Flower Tai Chi School will speak about the centuries-old form of Chinese exercise and self-defense. The lecture is at 3 p.m. and Earth Fare is located at the South Windermere Shopping Center, West Ashley. For more information call 406-4660.
- Healing Rays Bookstore and New Life Gallery offers mini tarot card readings by Carol Ann. The fee for a 20-minute reading is $20 and you can bring your own tape to record the reading. Reservations are recommended for the readings Saturday 1 – 4 p.m. and can be made by calling Healing Rays 853-4499. Healing Rays is located at 57 Broad Street. Also an in-depth lesson in how to read tarot using your intuition will be held July 22.
- Unlocking Love: A Transformational Workshop of Spiritual and Emotional Renewal will be led by Gilles Desjardins and Liliane Desjadeins of Pavilion International Treatment and Renewal Center in Mill Spring, N.C. Topics include skills for successful relationships, order of relationships and creative conflict resolution. July 24, 7 – 9 p.m. and July 25, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. The cost of the workshops is $55 and includes lunch on Saturday. Both sessions are at the Unity Church of Charleston at 2325 Leeds Ave. Call 566-0600 for more information or to register.
Body, Mind, Spirit Tip: To work out tension knots in your back, lay flat on the floor and slip a tennis ball under your body, one on each side of your spine. Gently lower your weight onto the balls. It’s the reverse action of having a person dig their hands into the muscles on your back while you lay on your stomach. Move the tennis balls to spots that feel tight. Breathe slowly and deeply. Close your eyes and visualize the tension leaving your body as you exhale. Your body, mind and spirit will appreciate it.